Comfort of Quilts Home
Search Judy Anne's Sites

Hawk Convergence Quilt


hawk closeup It took me a while to finish this quilt. It all started with me taking a Ricky Tims workshop where I bought this wonderful hand dyed fabric after his lesson on making a convergence quilt. I made the top right away but then I had a hard time deciding on how to quilt it.

I wanted to do something special that would be worthy of the beautiful fabric.I got the idea to trace a photo my husband took of a Harris Hawk flying right over his head. Ricky Tims had also taught a method of trapunto so I could make the hawk part stand out a little.

hawk photoI traced the picture trying to get the important features of the hawk. Then I went to a copy shop and blew it way up. Finally I traced it onto dissolvable material. I then quilted from the back creating the hawk. At that point I added the batting and backing fabric. But then I was stumped as to how to quilt the area outside of the hawk so the project sat in my cupboard for over a year.

I've found the best way to finish something is to sign up to put it in a quilt show. So I decided to put it in our small town show and got to work on finishing it. After all kinds of ideas most of which were pretty complicated I asked the quilters in my weekly quilting group. Through everyone's suggestions I decided to do the vertical lines and it was finished in time.

quilting from backI've learned a lot from this experience and if I were to do something like this again I would take a careful look after tracing. In this case I needed to change the lines going out to the hawks beak to give the head depth. As it is the face looks flat, more like an owl's. But it was a fun challenge to try something different like this.I've found the best way to finish something is to sign up to put it in a quilt show. So I decided to put it in our small town show and got to work on finishing it. After all kinds of ideas most of which were pretty complicated I asked the quilters in my weekly quilting group. Through everyone's suggestions I decided to do the vertical lines and it was finished in time.

I've learned a lot from this experience and if I were to do something like this again I would take a careful look after tracing. In this case I needed to change the lines going in to the hawks beak to give the head depth. As it is the face looks flat, more like an owl's. But it was a fun challenge to try something different like this.